I spoke to Manager, Steve Claridge earlier today about our ever-increasing injury issues.
Steve said “I just want to let everyone know where we are with player availability and keep everyone in the loop as to why some players have been in and out the side and why others have not featured and how long it will be before they do. I just think it’s important to make sure everyone understands the situation as to why some players are playing and some aren’t and the reasons for this.”
- Elliot Wheeler has had a setback and will be out for a further 3-4 weeks.
- Olly Knowles Is making good progress but we’re probably looking at another fortnight.
- Aaron Dawson Has had a scan on his knee and is booked in to have an operation.
- Josh Sommerton wasn’t quite ready on Tuesday night and will have another fitness test before the game on Saturday.
- Darren Mullings Had to play the other night which was a little bit earlier than was ideal as we weren’t expecting to need him quite so soon but with Domonic Jefferies being recalled on the day of the game left us little room for manoeuvre.
- Gerrard Benfield’s finger is still in the strapping and it’s unlikely he’ll play again this season.
- Jake Wannell rolled his ankle at Met Police but will be fit for tomorrow and we’re hopeful he is fully over his operation so should be available to play all games for the rest of the season.
- Owen Howe Is now fully recovered from the hamstring injury that he got at Met Police. Hopefully, after the stop-start time he’s had at the club with missing games due to being ineligible for the trophy, he can get himself fully fit.
- Bay Downing has also been struggling with his calf.
- Obviously, Dan Fitchett remains out for two more games due to his suspension.
- Domonic Jefferies has returned to Newport County.
“There’s no doubt it’s been a very difficult season but we’re still in there and we’ll keep going right to the very end. I think everybody knows after the last two games, as a group we’re going to have to do better which will hopefully come as we start to get players back.
“Thanks once again for your support and we hope to see you at the Ray Mac on Saturday.”