Match Report - Salisbury FC v Weymouth

FB home size
Salisbury FC 3 Weymouth 4
Evo-Stik South Premier South
Saturday, 26 January 2019

By Alec Hayter

The euphoria of winning a seven goal game at Hartley Wintney and grabbing three precious points was deflated by a home 4-3 reverse against Weymouth, and unfortunately, once more, the Whites were their own worst enemies.

After Danny Young had put a header over the top from Lewis Benson's deep cross on 8 minutes it was Weymouth who took over, a chip over the last defender by Brandon Goodship putting Ben Thomson one-on-one with Jake Hallett. On this occasion Hallett denied him, spreading himself well.

Three minutes later however, Hallett's attempt to keep it scoreless failed as after Goodship had wriggled his way past two defenders, his finish was too strong for the keeper to keep out. On 18 minutes Jordan Ngalo squared the ball across the box for Goodship who hit a right foot effort just past the post and after a competent opening, it was really no surprise when, on 9 minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead. Calvin Brooks pulled the ball back to Josh Wakefield on the edge of the box and his fiercely hit right foot shot went in the far corner giving Hallett little chance.

Salisbury's response came 11 minutes later and had Tom Whelan's shot not been deflected over the bar, the outcome of the game could well have been changed as that would have started the Whites' comeback before half-time. As it was though it remained 2-0 to the visitors when a 35 yard effort from Emanuel Odubade went well over the top, just before the interval.

Whelans 38th min effort kept out by a defenders blockWhelans 38th min effort kept out by a defenders block - Copyright Roger Elliott

Salisbury came out for the second half in defiant mood and looked very lively with Dan Fitchett squaring the ball on 53 minutes to Whelan who again suffered a good block, but Weymouth were still dangerous and on 62 minutes ex-Salisbury Abdulai Baggie got through but saw his deflected left foot finish saved by Hallett.

On 70 minutes however, the Whites were thrown a lifeline when Whelan was fouled in the box, for the spot on Luke Hopper to blast home the penalty to Tom McHale's left. It appeared that it was game on but Weymouth had other ideas, and 6 minutes later a defensive mistake in not safely getting rid of the ball allowed Brooks to get to the bye-line from where he pulled back a great ball to Cameron Murray, who made no mistake.

squarePen! - Luke converts - Copyright Roger Elliott

Thus the two-goal cushion was restored, but only for three minutes, as, following a scramble, Aaron Dawson toe poked home Salisbury's second. Only two minutes later Dawson got another with a very similar finish to level the scores at 3-3, both goals more down to persistence than beauty, and hope sprang eternal that it would be the Whites who went on to take the points, but with six minutes remaining those points became Weymouth's when Hallett came for a cross but did not get enough on it, giving Harry Baker the chance to belt the ball into the empty net.

DawsonTwo D's celebrate D's goal - Copyright Roger Elliott

The only other action saw the Whites have a penalty shout denied for an incident involving Whelan but the referee waved away the appeals shortly after signalled the end of the game - a very disappointing outcome for the home side. As Manager Steve Claridge confirmed afterwards.that things might have been different had Whelan’s first half effort not been deflected oiver the bar, but also that two mistakes ultimately cost the points.

Salisbury (and their fans) must now lift themselves for the game against Taunton on Tuesday, which will probably be a different type of contest to that which we witnessed today. Taunton managed to take a point away at Wimborne, which isn’t easy, and are therefore still tough opponents, but if the Whites can play to their undoubted potential there should be every chance of taking something from the game bearing in mind yes, would you believe, another seven goal game at the Viridor. I prefer seven goal games to end with the Whites getting the deciding goal please.

Following the Taunton game, the pressure continues on Saturday when we visit Hendon to play on their plastic surface, and although their form has faltered of late, that will still be a tough test. Please ensure the team get the valuable support of their twelfth man.

Salisbury: Hallett, Wheeler, Sparkes, Whelan, Bosma, Partridge (Herbert 21), Benson, Dawson, Fitchett, Mullings (Hopper 67), Young.
Subs not used: Hillson, Beeden.

Weymouth: MacHale, Ngalo, Baggie, Brooks, Zubar, McCarthy, Murray (Baker 82), Wakefield, Thompson, Goodship (Carmichael 62), Odubade (Wells 89).
Subs not used: Thomas, Buckley.

Attendance: 1224 Referee R Ablitt (Fareham)