YOUTH - Whites 18's Down Spurs at the Ray Mac

The Young Whites cruise through to the 2nd round of the Hants Cup 

Although not a vintage display from Salisbury under 18's against a big fleet side, where it matters in a game of football the Whites where clinical, I.E in front of goal. 

The scoring nearly started with the opposition scoring, but on two occasions the home team were saved by Tom Brooker in the Whites goal. The 2nd of which saw him saving at his left hand post only for the ball to squared back across the box for a spurs attacker to blast home from 10 yards. Somehow though the keeper recovered got across his goal to get fingers on the ball to flick it over the bar. I don't think there was a player in white shirt that didn't rush over to thank him for that one, or ask him how the hell be managed to do it. 

Soon after Mark Winter and Richard Rendell's side got on the front foot, pressing the opposition in their own half with Rob Jones and Sam Butt especially intercepting passes and driving forward. But it was the managers MOTM Will Waterson whom did the damage when he won the ball some 40 yards out and drove through the opponents midfield and defence before slipping through debutant 18 year old Rafael Maior who poked it past the keeper to open the scoring. 

Rafa's second goal followed shortly after which was far more about his physical strength and deadly finishing than his opener which seemed to take an age to roll into the net. 

Next it was the already influential Waterson to take the game away from Spurs by half time. Another driving run leaving a number of defenders wondering where the ball had gone resulted in a clinical finish to make it 3. The last goal of the 1st half came from what has become a bit of a Waterson special. A free kick from some 25-30 yards out which was curled around the wall with enough dip and power on the shot to elude the diving keeper when it bounced 2 yards in front of him before nestling in the bottom left corner. 

Second half as expected Spurs came at the whites from the whistle but with a 4 goal cushion there was no need for panic stations when they did eventually find the net. Salisbury almost immediately put out any fire the opponents had built up when Aiden Savage ended a brilliant team move by slotting home. Soon after the now showboating Waterson cross resulted in the visitors cross bar or post being struck for the third time on the night, however the ball eventually found its way to the Whites top goal scorer Layton Tulk who does not turn down chances like that to add to his seasons total. 

All in all a good night for the Whites, blooding two debutants in Rafa Maior and Ryan Cheng, six goals and now back to back wins with 10 scored and 1 conceded. 

There is not much time to recover though, the squad next set off at 7am tomorrow for a trip to face Chris Todd's (yes that Chris Todd) Torquay united in the league. 

A big thank you to all the club volunteers who turned up to get the game on last night. 

Final Score: Salisbury FC U18's 6 v 1 Fleet Spurs U18