- Gerrard Benfield is probably going to be out for the season as he snapped a tendon in his finger rather than a dislocation. We need to be very careful with him as further damage could be a serious problem so no chances will be taken.
- Marcus Beauchamp looks to be over his groin problems and just needs to gain fitness and sharpness.
- Josh Sommerton has damage to his meniscus and bone bruising, but we’re hopeful he’ll be back in the next 3-4 weeks.
- Jake Wannell is now in a position where he can play at least one game a week but isn’t comfortable playing on 4G and we’re managing him at this stage.
- With Elliot Wheeler were hoping to have him back in 3-4 weeks, but again we can’t rush him.
- Darren Mullings is going to be between 4-6 weeks depending on how his recovery goes.
- We’re hoping Aaron Dawson will have a fitness test tonight and we’ll assess where he is, although either way, he’s unlikely to be able to play on 4G on Saturday
- Owen Howe will be unavailable on Saturday as he’s away
After updating me on
this lengthy list, Steve had the following to say.
“We’re going to have to try and manage these next two games with players that are available for tonight and not for Saturday.
“I think we hit a little bit of a brick wall last Saturday, both in what we tried to do and the way we went about it. We looked like a side that lacked balance and shape. So, we need to get players back in their rightful positions as this group has done brilliantly to get us where we are, but it feels like we’ve been to the well once too often.
“This is a massive couple of games coming up for us as Saturday has meant there is pressure back on to get positive results again. Up to the last couple of games, we had a really good run and something similar again would put us exactly where we need to be. It’s a hugely important time for everyone so please if you can get down and support the players do so as I know they’re eager to make up for Saturday.”